Saturday, June 25, 2011

sort of a warm up

Nina was feeling quite good today.  She walked around for a while on her tip toes.  When I asked her to trot she nearly shot out from under me, taking off like she was pulling a sulky and we were out to set a land-speed record.  There was no stopping her, nothing I did created a working trot out of this high speed charge so we dropped back down to walk, which had a distinct bounce and sway to it.  Sort of like a small boat in a rough sea.  The next few tries at a civilized trot were better but the walk kept getting rougher.  Soon she just cantered in place.  There is probably a dressage description for that and it is probably a fabulous upper level movement, but at nearly 100 degrees today my only description was "stop that, dammit!!!"
I did finally turn her out to run and shortly after had to stop that before she killed and/or crippled herself in the heat. 

On the constructive side, I am laying out the course for the jumping classes and I measured that out and made a decision on the strides for the lines.   I put little ties of pink baling twine on the fence for the outside lines so I won't have to measure in the morning.  I hope they are still there in the morning. 
And I hope Nina settles down.  Depending on what they thrown into the class we might do the trail class.  That would be fun. If we are not spinning in place.

2 comments:

  1. Wow - it's amazing she has that much energy when it's so hot. Must be a thoroughbred thing? It's great she has the energy though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a character! Let us know how it went. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...