Monday, February 14, 2011

can't ride at all...

My can't ride days tend to be the same.  Instead of feeling like I am sitting down in the saddle connected to my horse, I feel like I imagine this must feel. Sort of waving around up in the air above the horse with not much control.   I call it my 'Riding a Camel' days. It's not a good feeling. 

Today the weather was perfect but the outdoor was under water so we went in the indoor.  Now Nina has not been ridden for nearly 2 weeks and because I am not riding any other horses, I have not ridden for almost 2 weeks.  I have a pretty good skill set, good reactions and I am hard to get off, but my confidence depends on riding everyday.  So Nina was high and I was tense.  We both needed to breath more.  We spooked around the indoor for a little bit, not too bad when suddenly I had Nina's ears in my face and she was at least 19h high.  I realized that the other horses that had been in the indoor had left.  OMG!  We were alone in THE SCARY PLACE.   She never did deflate and I never did feel like I had a horse under me instead of air, but we got through it without a wreck. 
On the plus side Nina was more excited than pissy and she stayed pretty obedient whenever her feet were on the ground.  It wasn't really that bad.  A bad combination of too much time off for both of us, a high horse and a tense rider.  At least we got it out of the way and the rest of the week is supposed to be fairly nice.

5 comments:

  1. That sort of sounds like Bailey when I rode him last. It feels like you're riding a time bomb, not a horse :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some time last fall I was riding a horse that I was familiar with on a day that should have been normal - no weather problems, nothing, and for some reason I could not sit the canter no matter what I did. I have been riding for 15 years, doing all sorts of thing...but that day I had forgotten the basics. It's weird how our minds and bodies play tricks on us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the camel comparison and unfortunately I know exactly what you mean :) I had 'one of those days' on my last ride.
    Glad you stayed safe in the indoor after two weeks of no riding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your camel riding analogy. Not that I've ever ridden a camel, but I'm still pretty sure that this is the perfect description!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear, you just made me realize I have many camel days ahead of me when the weather finally breaks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...