Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Got it all sorted out.

Late last night it occurred to me, and kept me awake all night, that on Friday night Nina would either be alone in the barn or alone in the pasture. Not a good thing for a high strung TB.
AND since I haven't heard a word from anybody about who is going to honor my contract and take care of my horse, at least until the end of the month, I would have to go buy hay and feed.
That was the final straw.
I check out a few barns that I am familiar with and decided to go back where I had Nina when I first got her. No turnout, but real pasture is very rare at a barn in Colorado and extremely rare within driving distance of Denver AND generally the barns are expensive and the domain of a successful show trainer only interested in show clients.
So if you can't have turnout, might as well go where you like the people.
I can teach lessons at my old barn, earn some money for the board and we will be fine. I want to move out before everyone else does, so I am planning on Thursday.

I feel just AWFUL taking her off of her pasture and away from her friends and I have to keep telling myself that I am not doing this, one way or another her life as she is currently enjoying it is over. Time to move on. We will be fine.

2 comments:

  1. So sad..if you are needing a more permanant place and want to drive to Greeley - the place I use to manage (Dave & Sherry) at the Dead head ranch (http://www.deadheadranch.com/tour.htm) is a great place. They have 2 acre irrigated pasture runs with sheds. Usually puts 3-4 compatible horses in them together. Last I knew the rate was $190 per month which includes hay in the winter. It's a bit of a drive, I can also check with Christy for some place with pasture in the Denver area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Most places that advertise pasture are not. They are dry lot turnout. And she can't be hours away, no point in having a horse and then parking it that far away. She is going to a barn that has been in business for 30+ years, 20 minutes from my house. We will consider the last 6 months the 'vacation on grass.' :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...