Thursday, June 4, 2009

this may work....

I have been very hesitant about confronting Nina about the bad behavior....absolutely chicken in fact. I told myself it was because there is no way to just kick her forward like you do with a horse that has had some training. Actually, I admitted to myself, it is because I have had this little doubt in the back of my mind that she might really be nuts and would throw herself over backwards to win the fight. In my opinion, horses that deliberately go over backwards are nuts and should be shot before they kill someone. Rearing is just one step away.

So today, as soon as I got on she reared a little. I was ready for it and just grabbed mane with one hand and pulled her head around with the other, pulling her off balance. This was the make or break moment...give in and get trained or fight beyond all reason.
She slammed her feet back down on the ground triple fast. They didn't stay there because she was PISSED, but I pulled her around the other direction the next time and she stopped to think about this and walked around in a circle each way with feet on the ground. As soon as she walked both ways I got off.

I think I can do this all day long....hopefully she will give in rather than escalate. Time will tell.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, the nerve of you! I don't think I could have done it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...